The people of Kerken share thoughts on Karl Falke
- Pyotr and Doctor have a meal with Agatha Gruft
- Bring conversation around to the Falke family – Frederik, Margarethe and their son Karl.
- Karl is a popular “malcontentant” in town – him and his lazy cronies.
- He doesn’t talk about his lost hand, story changes depending on who you ask about it.
- Ex soldier who returned to town some 10 years ago.
- Demi approaches the gossiper Mrs Shultz at the bakery.
- Karl is not pitied – always drunk/bad hygene.
- Lives at his run-down farm plot.
Demi makes a new friend.
- The three decide that they need to find the ghost of Margarethe at Kerken Hall.
- Best chance is with a blood relation – Karl…
- Demi buys a bribe of strong alcohol and goes to talk to Karl.
- The pair spend the afternoon sharing gripes about the younger generation
- Learns Karl’s bitterness because the he blames the townfolk for his parents death.
- The town constalntly compares him to his parents – and found lacking.
- Demi promises to bring him recognition in the eyes of the town.
- They return to Agatha’s house to meet the others.
Where we meet the inmates of Kerker Hall.
- The four of them ride up mountain to Kerker Hall
- The castle is falling apart after 30 years of neglect and harsh weather.
- Ominously quiet. Flitting shadows seem to be watching them. Shadowland…
- They spot strange new runes inscribed on the castle foundation in the last months
- Blood, fallen rocks and drag marks show where Prof. Gruft died.
- Carefully make their way through decaying halls – face the ghost of the local Judge.
- In the burnt courtyard, the burning ghost of a prisoner faces them
- Pyotr kills it with one of the silver arrows taken from the crypt.
- They see the chared remains of soldiers lying around – shadows gathering..
- They return to the entry hall, and the Doctor uses Karl’s blood to call out for Margarethe.
- The call rouses many more ghosts – Margarethe speaks
- The ghost of Frederik was taken – she is only barely containing the worst ones
- The Nephwrack ‘Letterman’
- She warns – the wards have been broken – and you just woke the dead…
- The four flee – chased by the hungry ghosts of the burnt guards.
- The doctor risks life and limb to give one-hand Karl time to get on his horse…
Where they seek the intercession of the Silver Heron.
- Shaken, the four realise they need help before the nephwrack kills Margarethe.
- They prepare a lavish feast with the last of their money.
- They offer the feast to the local god of the Silver Heron – begging for help
- The moon shines through the clouds, and they see the shadow of a flying heron…