Where their trip is fraught with danger
- The three take a boat to Reiherheim, the board a stagecoach to Kerker.
- Around 60 miles away – 4 days by coach along the roads winding through the forests
- Joined by a merchant – selling fine cloth and amulets.
- Demi learns about the worsening trade in Kerker – town is dying.
- Very narrowly avoid meeting with hungry ghosts and creatures of the woods
- They arrive in the tiny village, overlooked by a ruined castle
- Locals give them the cold shoulder “damned strangers”
- The Doctor is met by Agatha Gruft – young daughter of Professor Gruft
- Settle in to the local Inn – Tarnished Cauldron
- Pyotr tries to talk with the locals, sharing stories – bad reaction from locals
- Local Karl (one handed) berates them for “their soft city habits”
Where the locals show their superstitions
- Next morning the funeral is held.
- Interrupted by Karl and his gang of malcontentants-
- Don’t want Professor Gruft buried with the “decent folk” of the town.
- The Doctor berates them and shames them into moving aside.
Where we learn about the Professor’s past.
- The will is read out – Doctor asked to help Agatha settle into town properly.
- Doctor is asked to return some “unsavory” books to the University of Reiherheim.
- The books are a collection of tomes on the Dead, Underworld, and Necromancy…
- On reading the Professor’s journal, we learn he was chasing a cult
- His last entry was going to investigates events at the ruined Kerker Hall. Killed?
- The Doctor decides to keep the Tomes, and give other books to the university.
Where we try to make friends with the locals
- Pyotr investigates the surrounding forest – timid animals and wild plants.
- Starts hunting wild game and bringing to local butcher – who is very happy!
- Demi ingratiates himself with the local gossipmongers. Learns some town history.
- Kerker Hall was a prison meant for the most dangerous in Belicht
- Town grew around it – guards’ families and supporting trades
- Prison riot barely stopped by self sacrifice of the Warden – accidental fire
- In the 20 years since, the town is dying off, and the Hall is haunted.
Uncanny events begin in town.
- Bloody letter “M” defaces monument of Kerken Hall Warden
- Pyotr tracks down footprints – leads to Town Guard Deputy’s house.
- Deputy doesn’t know what happened (really) and goes to investigate.
- Doctor suspicious and checks on Professor’s grave.
- One of the dead digs itself out – panic..
- Pyotr distracts it – arrows don’t seem to do much but annoy it.
- Demi tries to get help from town, but his calls misunderstood as “scared foreigner”…
- The Doctor manages to eventually burn it – while spilling burning oil on Pyotr.