End of the month of Descending Fire, year 472 after the Illustrous Founding of Vendig
In which Pyotr tells his story to a rapt audience
- Pyotr and friends drunk at the Broken Drum, celebrating the Simhata kill.
- Lady Laima and entourage come visiting – out of place nobles slumming?
- Pyotr believes Laima is besotted with him, agrees to bring Simhata hide for meeting at House later..
- Mal follows Laima home – well guarded house on the main canal – rich quarter of Vendig.
In which we visit the court of the Forest King
- Vladof searching for strange plants – pays too much for a bonsai fir. Doctor notices and is intrigued
- They visit Pyotr – need to go to Maiden Vale – home of the Forest King.
- Leave early next morning – Pyotr little hungover -leads them near a Mountain Bear den – hurred withdrawal
- At the Vale – Pyotr sleeps off his hangover, Doctor collects grubs and plants.
- Vladof summons the Forest King – makes a present of the bonsai and acts subservient.
- King agrees to give a single favor – loan of an “Artisan Flower”
- They leave.
In which Mal raises questions
- Mal questions Broadmann and Pyotr about the odd behavior of Lady Laima.
- Convinces Pyotr he needs help carrying the Simhata hide.
- While Pyotr is enthralled by Laima, Mal cases the house
- Pyotr leaves with a “gift” of silver, and promises to hunt the most exotic hides for Laima.
Where we learn not to take from the Forest Court.
- The doctor starts experimenting with strange grubs from Maiden Vale.
- The grubs feed on flesh and dead wood – and grow fast!
- The Doctor looses control of the now fist sized grubs of vines and wood, and runs for help.
- Vladof and Pyotr are convinced to help save the Doctor’s patients.
- A Wood Spider is making its lair – distracted by poisoned foods allowing the two to rescue the patients.
- The house is warded, and the Doctor needs to abandon her land to stay with Vladof