- Venice-like canals and buildings.
- Cosmopolitan trade port.
- Metzalar – ruling council of merchants
- Running water and wards keep out hungry ghosts.
In which we run from hungry ghosts
- The Doctor, Pyotr and Brother Sun are caught outside town at nightfall. Hunting for moss/herbs before end of summer.
- Worried about falling night, they try to rush for town.
- Doctor advises to head for running water, hunter knows of a river in the area.
- Fast break for river, hear hungry ghost on trail…
- Fear leads them to run – make for town, just ahead of a ghost…
- Hungry ghost at Westgate bridge, kept out by wards.
- Doctor tries to assuage it – it gets strengthened, and goes about its own business.
Where we see the dangers of exotic imports.
- Vladof, Mal and Hailong are waiting for incoming shipment – exotic bones?
- Mal and Hailong investigate crashed ship. Ship is empty – shredded sails and blood streaks
- Sailors have been killed, 3 big cat-things..
- Vladof checks – Wyld touched Simhata (3)
- Hailong lights fire around edges of boat – The Doctor yells to stop (wakes one up)
- Hailong tries to catch it… Lasso and acrobatics…
- Mal taking bets, Pyotr takes a perch, Brother Sun organises firefighting
- Brawl on boat – Hailong mauled to the point of death
- Demeanor and Vladof gather supplies, rope and catnip…
- Pyotr kills the awake simhata.
- Inventor drops doped balls among other simhata – they get enraged and fight to the death.
- Brother Sun gives speech on “men following duty, own work, extolling virtues of the Guard and Immaculate Order”
- Hailong taken into care of doctor.