Start of of Ascending Air, year 473 after the Illustrous Founding of Vendig
In which the Doctor makes preparations…
- Doctor has been living with Vladof for the last week
- Investigating wood spiders – they like poison and other natural toxins
- Also very poisonous themselves
- Vladof isn’t tha interested in this problem…
- They pay a visit to Demi’s store “The Acrane Couldron” for antivenom.
- Demi happily chats to her good customer Vlad, and hints “happy you are settling down!”
- Makes a great batch (2 doses) of Munificent Antivenin with the help of the Doctor.
In which we find a mysterious threat.
- Mal spends time watching Waarches household.
- Following the handmaiden Vilkata on her talks with shady people.
- Mal’s contacts afraid talk about those hooded, shady people.
- Don’t ask, for your own good.
- Hears about an estranged Waarches daughter north. One of the militant faithful
- Sends a note to contacts to ask for reason of estrangement..
Where spiders cause a woody problem…
- The Doctor leads Pyotr and Vladof back to her estate.
- Beginning to show signals decay and fungal growths
- Doctor enters house and tells spiders to leave.. (Or else: Pyotr)
- Not impressed, spiders threaten back..
- Pyotr and Doctor try to burn down the house, wet fungus overgrown fires.
- Make a hasty retreat, Doctor bitten – shoulder starts to turn wooden.
- Antivenin used, leaves her vomiting, sweating and weak, but alive.
- Head back to Vendig.
Where we pay a visit to church.
- Mal takes a ship upriver to Reiherheim.
- Spots lady Regina at prayers, waits till finished to introduce himself.
- Regina is worried about her mother, hates Vilkata the handmaiden.
- Shares the rumours – bad things “happen” to mother’s opponents,
- Regina suspects Vilkata, who’s been around since mother’s childhood.
- Mal agrees to help Regina in her efforts. He’s suspicious of Vilkata too.
- She blesses him – she glows with a faint aura a moonlight.
In which thoughts of vengeance lead astray.
- The Doctor comes clean to Demi – her spider troubles.
- Unable to pay – needs things to drive off wood spiders.
- Can’t pay for ingredients though.
- Demi introduces to her patron – Lord Ricardo – newest member of Metzalar.
- Doctor convinces Ricardo that the wood spider infestation is a threat to Vendig.
- He agrees to fund Demi and provide some men and wagons to retrieve Doctor’s goods
- So long as Doctor lives in town and works for him.